If you are planning to make this recipe for breakfast and you are in a hurry you can skip adding tomatoes and capsicum which I pointed as optional. Adding them gives you an additional flavor. This can be prepared in less than 15 minutes.
You can adjust garam masala, red chili powder and salt based on your taste and climate to make Spicy Masala Idli snack. During the rainy season, I love to have spicy. If you like to have a bit crunchy you can sauté idli with a little oil in a pan until they turn golden brown color.
Leftover Idli’s – 4 no.
Cumin seeds – ½ tbsp.
Mustard seeds – ½ tbsp.
Green chillies – 3 no. (sliced half)
Onion – 1 cup.
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp.
Curry leaves – 2 tbsp.
Tomatoes – 1 no. (optional)
Cooked vegetables – 1 cup. (potatoes, beans and carrot)
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tbsp.
Salt – 1/2 tbsp. (as per your taste)
Garam masala – ¼ tbsp.
Coriander powder – ¼ tbsp.
Jeera powder – ¼ tbsp.
Dry Red chillies – 1 no.
Asafetida – a pinch
Water – 50 ml
How to Make Masala Idli Recipe:
- Refrigerating idli keeps it in good condition.
- If you are using fresh I recommend you to Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Slice the idli into cubes and keep aside.
- At the same time slice vegetables of your choice. I have used potatoes, carrot and beans.
- Half boil them and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Once mustard seeds start spluttering add onions and green chilles and sauté for a while.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for a while, add curry leaves and sliced tomatoes.
- Add half boiled vegetables.
- Cook further for a minute and add turmeric powder, salt, jeera powder and coriander powder.
- Sprinkle garam masala powder.
- Add a pinch of asafetida.
- Add the little water so that you get the gravy.
- Mix well so that gravy sticks.
- Garnish Masala idli recipe with coriander leaves and serve hot.
How to Make Masala Idli Recipe Video: