Masala vada is one of the most eaten Indian snacks or fry side Indian snack recipes. Learn how to make Masala vada snack food in our quick and easy recipes section. Usually, this snack recipe is prepared during the evening and served along with tea.
Masala Vada Recipe, How to Make Chana dal Masala Vada, Paruppu Vadai
- Urad dal – 1 cup
- Moong Dal – 1 cup
- Chana dal – 1 cup
- Onions – ½ bowl
- Ginger – ¼ cup.
- Green chilies – ¼ cup.
- Curry leaves – 2 tbsp.
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp.
- Garam masala powder – ½ tbsp.
- Finely sliced green chilies – 1 tbsp.
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp.
- Water – To soak dal
- Salt – 1 ½ tbsp. as per your taste
- Oil – to deep fry.
How to Make Masala Vada:
- Soak Moong dal, chana daland urad dal for an hour.
- Drain water from dal and transfer them to a blender, add ginger pieces, salt, green chillies and grind to coarse and hard paste.
- Transfer this paste to another bowl and add ginger garlic paste, sliced oninos, coriander leaves, curry leaves, finely sliced green chillies, garam masala powder and salt.
- Mix all ingredients and beat batter to get soft vadas.
- Heat oil in a deep bottom vessel.
- Wet your hands and take small lump of batter and make small ball shape and press it in middle to form a flat disc shape.
- Once oil reaches optimum hot, gently release in oil and deep fry on both sides till they attain golden brown color.
- Remove excess oil and transfer vada on a tissue paper.
- Serve Masala Vada hot accompanied with coconut chutney.
How to Make Masala Vada:
- Soak urad dal, chana dal and moong dal separately for 1 hour.
- Add urad dal to wet grinder, after few seconds of grind, add ginger pieces.
Tip: If you want to soak dal early then add a piece of iron while soaking.
Note: Salt makes batter become lose so add little water while grinding.
Note: Using little water keeps batter thick and hard which helps in absorbing less oil while deep fry.
- Add green chilies and salt. Grind till you get medium coarse texture, remove from the grinder and keep aside.
- Grind moong dal separately.
- Similarly soak and grind chana dal coarsely.
- Take little portions of urad dal, moong dal, chana dal and sliced onions.
- Add ginger garlic paste, curry leaves, coriander leaves and 1 tbsp. finely sliced green chilies.
- Continue adding garam masala powder, ½ tbsp. salt and mix all ingredients.
- Wet your hands with water, take a small lump of batter in your hand and make it like a ball, and then make it flat. Gently release vada in oil and do this process for all vadas.
Tip: If you are not convenient in doing vada in hands you can make use of polythene sheet.
- Once you find vada turning its color, flip to other side and once all change their color to golden brown.
- Remove from oil and place them on tissue paper.
- Masala Vada tastes great with tomato ketchup or coconut chutney.
Masala Vada Video Recipe: