Mirchi Vada Recipe or Mirchi Bajji is one of the street foods which come under the category, Indian snacks. Huge varieties of chilies are found in the market. An eight-inch long variety is best for making this recipe. Our recipe is made in south Indian style and in Andra region it is called with Merapakaya Bajji where we dump mango powder and other spices.
This recipe is mostly consumed during evenings and best suits during rainy season. Learn how to make Mirchi vada Recipe with step by step pictorial instructions along with tips and notes.
Ingredients for Mirchi vada:
Large green chili – 6 nos.
Oil – to deep fry
Chat masala – 1 tbsp. (optional – to make it much spicier)
For Mirapakaya Bajji Batter:
Gram flour – 200 gms.
Salt – 1/2 tbsp.
Thymol seeds – 1/2 tbsp.
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tbsp.
Baking soda – 1/4 tbsp.
Asafoetida – A pinch
Rice flour – 1/4 cup (50 gms.)
Water – 1 glass (to make batter)
Mango powder/ aamchur – 1 tbsp.
Salt – 1/2 tbsp.
Thymol seeds – 1/4 tbsp.
Coriander powder – 1 tbsp.
Water – little
How to Make Mirchi Vada Recipe:
Making of Mirchi vada batter:
- Sieve Bengal gram so that if there are any foreign particles you can remove them.
- Take a wide vessel and put Bengal gram flour, 1/2 tbsp. salt, 1/2 tbsp. thymol seeds and 1/4 tbsp. turmeric powder.
- Add 1/4 tbsp. baking powder, a pinch asafoetida, rice flour and mix all ingredients.
- Add required quantity of water and make a thick and silky batter.
Tip: To get the spongy output we need to beat batter either by hand or using any machine.
Making of Mirchi vada filling:
- Take a small bowl and add mango powder/ aamchur, 1/2 tbsp. salt, 1/4 tbsp. thymol seeds and coriander powder.
- Add little water and make a thick paste.
- Slit Mirchi along long side as shown in the image and fill aamchur paste.
Deep frying Mirchi Vada:
- Dip Mirchi into the batter and gently remove batter on one side by moving over the edge of the vessel.
- Once the oil is hot and ready, put Mirchi one by one and deep fry them.
- When you find chilies turning their color, flip them and cook on another side until they turn golden brown in color.
- Mirchi Vada Recipe is ready. Serve hot with coconut chutney.
Tip: Some of us may not like chutney, instead they like to have spicer then they may sprinkle chaat masala.
Tip: Select large sized green chilies for this recipe. It will not only give it a nice definite shape but also would not be spicy.
How to make Mirchi Vada or Mirchi Bajji Recipe Video: