Murukku Recipe/ Andhra Murukulu/ Jantikalu is one of the deep fried snack prepared during festive seasons. Its main ingredients are rice flour, chana dal and gram flour. When making this recipe we find many variations in using ingredients and each has its unique flavor.
Our version of the recipe has spores from inside which makes it crispy and soft. Similar to this recipe, we have buttermilk murukku recipe which has a blend of spiciness and tangy flavors. In other cases we can make the same recipe with parboiled rice, sago etc. each variation has different textures.
Ingredients: (1 cup=200 ml.)
Rice flour – 4 cups
Roasted Chana dal/ Putnalu powder – 1 cup
Besan/ chickpea/ gram flour – 1 cup
Salt – 1 tbsp.
Thymol seeds – 1 tbsp.
Sesame seeds – 2 tbsp.
Asafetida – a pinch
Red chili powder – 1 ½ tbsp.
Butter – 50 gms. (unsalted)
How to make Murukku Recipe or Andhra Murukulu/ Jantikalu:
- First, grind Roasted chana dal to a fine powder and keep aside.
- If you are using stock rice flour or any flour then it is recommended to sieve it before use.
- In rice flour, add roasted chana dal powder and besan flour.
- Add salt, Thymol seeds, sesame seeds and a pinch of asafetida.
- Add Red chili powder and unsalted butter and mix well.
Note: When the dough is deep fried, it loses little spiciness that is the reason we have added 1 ½ tbsp.
- Add required quantity of water (I have used cold water).
- Mix well so that you will get the smooth and hard dough.
- Take a small portion of dough and put it in Murukku press.
- Grease oil on a steel plate and press on it.
Tip: Greasing oil will keep dough non-sticky to the surface.
- Put each murukulu press one by one and deep fry.
- Once you get golden brown color, remove from oil.
- Serve them when they are cooled.
Note: Once Murukku Recipe or Andhra Murukulu/ Jantikalu are cooled one can experience crispiness.
Murukku Video Recipe: