Onion Rice Recipe is one of the simple and easy to prepare the dish. It can be prepared with fresh cooked or even left over chaaval. This fried rice recipe is not only colorful with beans but also delicious.
Although this is one of the simplest recipes one can do, this tastes good only when eaten fresh, as its main ingredient is onion, we get pungent smell after 4-6 hours of preparation (if left outside). Apart from this issue, we can not only add green beans but also we can add vegetables of your choice and make Simple Onion Rice Recipe.
But then, by adding many vegetables this recipe may turn into vegetable rice, so I didn’t mention many vegetables. You can substitute green peas with channa dal or ground nuts and give it a crunchy flavor.
Ingredients for Onion Rice:
Basmati Rice – 1 cup
Green beans – 1/2 cup
Onion – 1 medium sized
Cumin and mustard seeds – for seasoning
Green chilies – 3 no. (minced)
Coriander leaves (chopped) – 1 tbsp
Garlic – little
Oil – 1 tbsp.
Salt – As per your taste.
How to Make Onion Rice Recipe:
- Wash and clean basmati rice separately.
- Add water and little salt to rice and boil for 10 minutes.
- Add 1 tbsp oil to rice so that starch present in rice will not get sticky and cook further for 5 minutes (total 15 minutes)
- Cut onions into long and thin slices.
- Heat oil in a sauce pan and fry cumin and mustard seeds for seasoning, keep aside.
- In the same pan add onions and green chilies and fry until you get the golden color.
Tip: we need to take care while frying onions, we should make sure that they merely turn the golden color. In order to get such output, one can add little sugar over onions and cover with a lid for a minute or two. By adding sugar onions tend to change its color faster and we can obtain golden color faster without burning.
- Now add green peas and a little water and boil until everything is dried.
- Once it is dried, add cooked rice and coriander leaves.
- Cook for about 1 minute stirring constantly until everything is mixed well.
- Onion Rice Recipe is ready to serve, serve hot.