Potato in curd gravy is one of the famous North Indian recipes. It is a combined with yummy yogurt cream which tastes good with puri or chapathi or paratha.
Based on the quantity of oil, red chilli powder and curd, the colour of this recipe changes. While making gravy if you use old curd then it may taste a bit sour so choose fresh one. We can make this recipe either in an open vessel with a lid or even in a pressure cooker.
While cooking this recipe we need to cook at low heat as yogurt may become bitter in taste and ruin the whole recipe. We can even mix spice masala powders while beating curd.
Potato In Curd Gravy, Potato curd gravy, How to make potato In curd gravy
- Potatoes boiled and peeled - 3 (medium)
- Red chilli powder - 1 tsp.
- Coriander seed powder – ½ tsp.
- Curd or yogurt beaten - 1 cup
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp.
- Green chillies slit – 2
- Garam masala - ¼ tsp.
- Asafoetida – 2 pinches
- Curry leaves – 1 stalk
- Coriander leaves chopped – 1 tbsp.
- Water – 1 ¼ cup
- Ginger grated - ½ tsp.
- Garlic grated - ½ tsp.
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp.
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp.
- Wheat flour/ Besan flour - ¼ tsp.
- Salt - 1 tsp.
- Oil – 1 tbsp.
How to Make Potato In Curd Gravy:
- Make the potatoes into two portions.
- In one portion take 3-4 pieces of potatoes and mash those with the hand and in other portion cut the potatoes into big pieces.
Take ¼ cup water and mix all the dry masalas
- Heat oil. Add cumin and mustard seeds.
- When the seeds start spluttering, add green chilli, ginger-garlic and curry leaves.
- Add the masala mixture and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add beaten curd(yogurt) and stir continuously till the yogurt loses its whiteness (approximately 5 minutes)
- Add leftover water and the two portions of potato and wheat flour. Stir well.
Let it boil for 2 minutes on high flame and later slim the heat and cook for 8-10 min or till gravy thickens with lid cover covered.
Potato in curd gravy is ready. Garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve hot.
- It takes 3 whistle blows to cook potatoes in pressure cooker.
- One can peel the skin of potatoes when they are hot.
- We have added wheat flour but we can substitute with besan flour but we need to take care that there are no lumps.