Last week I posted a simple and smooth idli recipe made with ravva. I thought of making it more healthier than usual so I came up with Ragi Idli recipe. Many doctors prescribe having finger millets in your diet for its medicinal benefits. If you are looking for Ragi Flour Breakfast Recipes then this is one of the simple recipes among this category.
Ragi Idli Recipe, How to Make Ragi Idli recipe, Ragi Flour Breakfast Recipe
- Idli Rice – 250 gms.
- Urad dal – 100 gms
- Ragi flour/ finger millet flour – 250 gms.
- Poha thick – 100 gms.
- Fenugreek seeds – ½ tbsp.
- Rock salt – 1 tbsp.
- Water – required
- Oil – for greasing optional
- Baking soda – 1 pinch optional
How to Make Ragi idli recipe:
- Rinse rice couple of times and water double the rice and keep aside.
- Wash poha and mix to above rice bowl.
- In other bowl wash Fenugreek seeds and urad dal, add1.5 cups of water.
- Soak rice and dal for about 5 hours
- Drain excess water and grind both dal and rice separately.
- When you get a smooth batter, add both of them and keep them aside.
- Keeping in mind the thickness of batter, take 1 cup ragi flour and make the appropriate thick batter by adding required amount of water.
Tip: If you feel you have made added more water in rice or dal while grinding you can adjust its consistency while making ragi flour batter.
Note: While making ragi batter, remove any lumps by hand.
- Mix everything (rice, ragi and dal batters and rock salt) with your hand and keep in one big bowl.
- Keep the batter in warm condition for fermentation overnight.
Tip: Try to keep bigger vessel for fermentation, during this process batter may increase. If it’s not increased then add a pinch of baking soda.
- Before steaming, add 2.5 cups of water in the vessel and grease the idli molds with oil.
Tip: If you are using the cooker, remove the whistle and if you are using steamer then let the water come to the boiling state.
- Pour the batter into the molds and cook for 10-15 minutes based on the size and method of cooking.
- Off the flame, let them cool for a minute or two.
Tip: If there is any extra batter left over you can refrigerate and use it for next day. If the batter is more than 2 days I recommend making uttapam.
Tip: While removing ragi idli recipe, dip the spoon in cold water and start removing from corners.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney or with sambar.