Raw Banana Fry Recipe or Vazhakkai Fry or Aratikaya Fry is one of the simple recipe made with raw banana with limited ingredients. In South India, these veggies are used more often as this is one of the nutritious veggie filled with proteins, vitamins and low in calories.
Usually while choosing Vazhakkai, we need to take care that they are well grown, not tender and rigid. Sometimes based on the size and weight price of this veggie may vary but it’s always a good option to choose the right veggie.
Aratikaya Vepudu can be made in different ways based on the region way of making may differ our process is made in South Indian, Andhra Style. It is spicy and soft in nature which can be used along with chapatti or with plain rice.
Raw Banana Fry Recipe | Vazhakkai Fry | Aratikaya Fry Recipe
Raw Banana Fry Recipe orVazhakkai Fry orAratikaya Fry is one of the simple recipe made with raw banana with limited ingredients.
- Raw banana – 2 no.
- Salt – 1 ½ tbsp.
- Water – required quantity
- Oil – 4 tbsp.
- Groundnut – 4 tbsp.
- Chana dal – 3 tbsp.
- Moong dal – 1 tbsp.
- Mustard seeds – ½ tbsp.
- Cumin seeds – ½ tbsp.
- Garlic cloves – 16 no.
- Onions – 1 cup sliced.
- Green chillies – 4 no.
- Curry leaves – 3 tbsp.
- Turmeric powder – ½ tbsp.
- Red chilli powder – ½ tbsp.
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp.
- Coriander leaves –1 tbsp.
How to Make Raw Banana Fry:
- Choose right raw banana size which is rigid and well grown, remove the skin with the peeler.
- In a separate bowl, add 1 tbsp. salt and keep aside.
- Slice aratikaya into small pieces of your required shape and put them in salt water.
Tip: Soaking raw banana in salt water prevents it from becoming black.
- Heat oil in a pan and add peanuts, moong dal, chana dal, cumin seeds, mustard seeds and garlic cloves.
- Sauté for a while till mustard seeds start spluttering.
- Add Onion slices, curry leaves, green chillies and fry till onion turns golden brown.
- Drain water from raw banana pieces and put them in a pan and mix well.
- Sprinkle salt and turmeric powder and cook for few seconds with lid covered, also make sure that banana doesn’t turn very soft.
- Remove the lid and cook further till they are cooked.
- Sprinkle coriander powder and red chilli powder before you are about to remove from flame.
- Mix well and garnish Raw Banana Fry Recipe orVazhakkai Fry orAratikaya Fry with coriander leaves.
How to Make Raw Banana Fry:
- In a vessel, add adequate water and add 1 tbsp. salt.
- Slice raw bananas into a small size and soak them in salt water, keep aside.
Tip: Soaking raw banana will not let them turn its color into black.
- Meanwhile, heat pan, add oil, groundnuts, chana dal and moong dal.
- Continue adding mustard seeds, cumin seeds and garlic cloves sauté for a while.
- Add onions, green chillies and curry leaves, sauté for a while.
- Put sliced raw banana pieces and mix all ingredients.
- Sprinkle turmeric powder and ½ tbsp. salt. Mix well.
- Cover with lid and cook for a minute and remove the lid and cook further.
Note: Cooking with lid covered is used only to cook banana so it should not be used for a long time as it may make it soft.
- Sprinkle red chilli powder and coriander powder, mix well so that they are coated perfectly.
- Garnish Aratikaya Fry with coriander leaves and serve hot.