Shahi Paneer is one of the famous North Indian recipes. Shahi refers to ‘royal ‘and paneer is ‘cottage cheese’. You will find this recipe in almost all restaurants and hotels. It is usually eaten with roti/chapati or Indian breads.
In most of the cases if the word ‘Shahi’ comes in front of the recipe then we can think they are from Mohal cuisine and they resemble royal food. In order to increase its flavor few like to make gravy with cashew nuts along with yogurt.
Paneer plays important role in this recipe, always go for fresh and branded. If you are removing directly from the refrigerator then put that along with packing in warm water or at room temperature water so that it becomes soft.
Shahi Paneer, How to Make Shahi Paneer Recipe, Paneer Butter Masala
- Paneer cottage cheese – 250 gms
- Onion chopped into strips - 1
- Ghee or butter – 3 tsp
- Green chillies finely chopped – 2
- Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Ginger finely chopped – ½ inch piece
- Tomatoes finely chopped - 4
- Cardamoms crushed - 2
- Garam masala – ½ tsp
- Tomato sauce – 2 tsp
- Yogurt beaten – ¼ cup
- Milk – ½ cup
- Salt to taste
- Grated paneer – 2 tsp
- Chopped coriander – 1 tsp
How to Make Shahi Paneer Recipe:
- Chop the cottage cheese2-inch2 inch size preferably in a square shape.
- Heat half the ghee. Add onion, green chilli, ginger and cardamom.
- After 2-3 minutes, add tomatoes and cover the top. Let it fry for a while
- Later add the curd and turn the heat at low flame and let it cook further for 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup water and blend the mixture till it turns smooth
- Add the remaining ghee and other ingredients except for paneer and milk to the gravy
- Boil to get a very thick gravy.
- Just before serving, add cottage cheese pieces and milk and boil for 3-4 minutes.
- Garnish Shahi Paneer Recipe with chopped coriander and grated cottage cheese.
- As we are adding tomatoes in this recipe we need to choose fresh and sweet yogurt.
- Whip yogurt and make creamy yogurt while adding as a gravy.