Shankarpali recipe is one of the Diwali sweets. They are crispy and sweet dessert which melts in the mouth giving you a great feel. As Sweet Shankarpali recipe is made with sugar it is rich in carbohydrates. People who are health conscious may like to bake instead of deep frying.
Usually, this recipe is made with all purpose flour or maida in two ways either deep frying or baking. Sometimes when you deep fry you may get darker output so baking is a good idea. In Maharastra, people like to have this recipe as a tea time snack. Also, this recipe can be stored for min 2-3 weeks.
Taste and texture vary with the way you cook. Indians are habituated for non-baking methods, especially for festive recipes. I have been though by my grandparents that each recipe is made special for the particular festival so as to balance health. Our ancestors have designed recipes and food habits based on location and climate.
Shankarpali Recipe, How to Make Shankarpali Recipe, Sweet Shankarpali
Ingredients for Sweet Shankarpali:
- All-purpose flour – 1 ½ cup.
- Sugar – 1/3 cup
- Ghee – 1/3 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Ghee to deep fry
How to Make Shankarpali Recipe:
- Add sugar to water and make syrup, once sugar is dissolved add ghee.
- Once the syrup is boiling, add flour and make a soft pliable dough.
- Make the dough into balls (proportions) to roll like chapati.
- The thickness of each chapati should be of 1/3 inch.
- Cut into your desired shape with a cookie cutter or with the knife (diamond shape).
Tip: Dry these pieces for about an hour by keeping aside, so that it absorbs less ghee.
- Heat ghee and deep fry on low flame until you get golden brown color.
- Drain excess ghee and cool.
- Shankarpali Recipe is ready, store in clean and dry containers.