Sorakaya Pappu Recipe or Anapakaya Pappu or Lauki chana dal is one of the traditional Andhra dal recipes made with bottle gourd and yummy dal. It is either prepared with tamarind extract or tomatoes. Usually, North Indian dal recipes look a bit grainy but South Indian dal recipes look a bit soft.
Usually, based on the quality of toor dal, it may take 3 whistle blows or more for cooking. This recipe can be considered as one of the coolant recipes as Lauki has more quantity of water in it.
It is one of the simple recipes for a housekeeper which can be done within minutes. In North India, it is called as Lauki Chana Dal which is low in calories and helps your stomach give cooling sensation when struggling with acidity.
Sorakaya Pappu, How to Make Sorakaya Pappu Recipe, Lauki Chana Dal
Sorakaya Pappu Recipe or Anapakaya Pappu or Lauki dal is one of the traditional Andhra dal recipes made with bottle gourd and yummy dal.
Ingredients – Measurement: 1 cup = 200ml.
- Sorakaya – 250 gms.
- Toor dal/ Kandi pappu – 2 cups
- Onions – 1 cup
- Green chillies – 4 no.
- Tomatoes – 1 large bowl
- Coriander leaves – 3 tbsp.
- Oil – 2 tbsp.
- Water – 500 ml. to put in dal extra water required to clean dal
- Turmeric powder – ½ tbsp.
- Red chilli powder – 1 tbsp.
- Salt – 1 ½ tbsp.
- Ghee – 2 tbsp.
- Chana dal – 1 tbsp.
- Moong dal – 1 tbsp.
- Mustard seeds – ½ tbsp.
- Cumin seeds – ½ tbsp.
- Garlic cloves – 15 no.
- Dry red chillies – 4 no.
- Curry leaves – 2 tbsp.
- Hing/ Asafetida – a pinch
- Boil bottle gourd by adding required quantity of water with the lid closed.
Tip: Bottle gourd doesn’t take much time to cook so make sure that they don’t get overcooked.
- On another hand, clean toor dal and add onions, tomatoes, green chillies, coriander leaves, turmeric powder, 1 tbsp oil and 500 ml. water to dal.
Tip: Adding oil and turmeric powder will make dal cook faster.
Tip: As we are adding more quantity of tomatoes we need not add tamarind pulp if you are planning to add tamarind then adjust tomatoes accordingly.
- Close the lid of pressure cooker and cook for 3 whistles.
- Put bottle gourd pieces along with its stock into dal and sprinkle salt and red chilli powder.
- Cook further on low flame so that even anapakaya absorbs the flavour of dal.
- While dal is being cooked let us prepare temper.
- In a kadai, heat ghee and when it starts melting add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chana dal, moong dal and garlic cloves and sauté for a while.
- Add hing and drop anapakaya pappu and mix all ingredients.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
- Sorakaya pappu goes well when accompanied with papad and plain white rice.
How to make Sorakaya Pappu Recipe:
- In a vessel, add sorakaya and add water till they are dipped, boil them on low heat with lid covered until they become soft.
- In a pressure cooker add 2 cups of toor dal and clean it with appropriate water, drain water.
- Add onions, green chillies, tomatoes and coriander leaves.
- Continue adding 1 tbsp. oil, ½ tbsp. turmeric powder, 2 glass full water (around 500 ml.) and close the lid and cook for 3 whistle blows.
Note: Cook on high flame for first whistle blow and then lower the flame for next two whistle blows.
- Open the lid of the pressure cooker and check whether dal is cooked or not.
Note: Always open the lid of the pressure cooker only when it’s cooled, if you are in hurry then let the pressure is out and then open the lid by keeping your face at a distance.
- Drop cooked bottle gourd along with its stock into dal, mix all ingredients.
- Sprinkle red chilli powder and salt, mix well.
- Cook this dal mix further on low flame.
- In another vessel heat ghee, add chana dal, moong dal and mustard seeds.
- Continue adding cumin seeds and garlic cloves, sauté for a while.
- At the end add a pinch of hing and drop Anapakaya Pappu Recipe into the temper.
- Garnish Sorakaya Pappu Recipe with coriander leaves and serve with plain white rice.