Tomato Gravy Recipe is one of the traditional Indian recipes which can be used directly with snacks or roti. It is sometimes used as a base recipe to prepare recipes like Paneer recipes, brinjal curry and chicken recipes.
During the months of December and January tomato prices in India comes down, I make use of this and make all kinds of tomato recipes like Tomato Chutney, Tomato Pappu, tomato soup etc. Along with instant curries sometimes I also make sun dried tomato pickle for future use.
As tomatoes are one of the staple foods, in South India many people make use of price drop. I see people preserving tomatoes by drying them in salt and some making pickles. When I am sort of curries, I make use of chutney or pickles made with tomatoes and have with chapati or steamed rice.
Andhra Tomato Curry will be a bit spicy and tingling taste where it is prepared at low flame by adding all ingredients at a time and cooked under wooden fire in earthen pots.
Tomato Gravy Recipe, How to Make Tomato Gravy, Andhra Tomato Curry
- Juicy ripe tomatoes - 2 large
- Capsicum - 1 small
- Onion - 1 large
- Ginger - 1 tsp. grated
- Garlic - 1 tsp. grated
- Coriander leaves - 1 tsp. finely chopped
- Peanuts - tsp.
- Garam masala powder 1/2 tsp.
- Red chilly powder - 3/4 tsp.
- Cinnamon clove powder - 1/4 tsp.
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp.
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp.
- Ghee - 2 tsp.
- Salt - as per your taste
How to Make Tomato Gravy Recipe:
- Dry roast peanut lightly and grind coarsely.
- Put tomatoes and capsicum in a food chopper and make semi-puree.
- Slice onions very fine, if needed you can use the chopper.
- Heat ghee in a heavy pan and fry onions till golden brown.
- Add ginger and garlic and saute for a while
- Add tomato capsicum puree and cook for a minute or two.
- When it starts boiling add remaining masalas sugar salt and peanut grind.
- Tomato gravy is done.
- At this point of time, you can add veggies like brinjal, baby potatoes, baby corn, cauliflower etc.
- Once veggies are cooked under low flame, you will find ghee getting separated from the gravy.
- Garnish tomato gravy recipe with coriander leaves and serve hot.