Tomato Pappu is one of the famous and vegetarian foods in South India. Andhra people believe kandi pappu or tur dal with tomato is a winning combination. This dish is served as a main course with rice.
Tips for Making perfect Tomato Pappu Recipe:
- Choosing the right variant of toor dal is important to get its essence.
- Soaking lentils for 30 minutes will save the time of cooking.
- Adding little oil while pressure cooking will make it cook faster.
When eaten with ghee you will get dazzling experience. Temper used in this dish is made with an appropriate mixture of spices which give an aromatic and delicious taste. In South India, it is also called as sambar or pappu charu.
Tomato Pappu Recipe, How to Make Tomato Pappu Recipe Andhra Style
- Toor Dal / kandipappu – 100 gms
- Tomato – ¼ kg
- Tamarind – Lemon ball size 1
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 pinch
For the popu/tadka
- Garlic cloves – 5
- Red mirchi – 1
- Curry leaves – 1 spring
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – ½ tsp
- Mirchi powder – ½ tsp
- asafoetida powder – ½ tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
How to Make Tomato Pappu Recipe:
- Wash dal, add ¼ liter water and boil in a separate vessel
- After dal gets boiled add tomatoes and boil for a while and later add tamarind juice, salt and turmeric powder and boil for a min. Once cooked, mash the mixture and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a separate saucepan and add garlic cloves, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, green chillies and asafoetida powder
- Once everything is fried put this mixture in the mashed dal and boil for a minute
Tomato pappu is ready. Serve hot.