You can use normal white rice or biryani basmati rice for preparing this recipe. While cooking rice, I used coconut water to enhance the flavor of the rice (not mentioned in the video). With the mix of spices and yogurt, it gives you the flavor of spicy and tingling taste to brinjal rice recipe.
Vangi Bath Recipe, How to Make Vangi Bath Recipe, Brinjal Rice Recipe
Vangi Bath Recipe is one of the South Indian recipes commonly prepared in Brahmin community. A special blend of spices is used for making vangi bath masala and then mixed with rice.
- Brinjal – ¼ kg.
- Cooked Rice – 1 large bowl
- Onions – ½ cup
- Groundnuts – ¼ cup
- Green chilies – 5 no.
- Tomato – ½ cup
- Yogurt/ curd – 1 cup
- Hing/ asafetida – a pinch
- Turmeric powder – ½ tbsp.
- Salt – 1 ½ tbsp. as per your taste
- Garam masala – ½ tbsp.
- Lemon – ½ piece
- Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp.
- Oil – 1 ½ spoons
Vangi bath Masala ingredients:
- Chana dal – 1 tbsp.
- Sesame seeds – 1 tbsp.
- Dry red chilies – 2 no.
- Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp.
- Urad dal – 1 tbsp.
- Peppercorns – 7 no.
- Poppy seeds – 1 tbsp.
- Add Red chillies, chana dal, sesame seeds, coriander seeds, urad dal and poppy seeds in a blender and make fine powder.
- Slice Brinjals into small pieces and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add onions, green chillies and ground nuts.
- Saute till onions turn golden brown color.
- Add tomatoes, yogurt, brinjal pices one by one, mix well.
- Sprinkle little hing, salt, turmeric powder and ground masala powder and mix well.
- Let brinjal cook for 5 minutes till they become soft with lid covered.
- Add cooked rice to this mix and mix well.
- In order to increase flavour we can add little garam masala powder at the end.
- Just before we are about to remove from heat, add lemon extract and garnish Vangi Bath Recipe with coriander leaves.
How to Make Vangi Bath Recipe:
- Clean brinjals and slice them into fine slices.
Note: while selecting this veggie check for insects (there might be pores over the skin, if you find such pores then there might be chances for insects).
- First, let us make Vangi bath masala.
- Add chana dal, sesame seeds, dry red chilies and coriander seeds into the blender.
- Further, add urad dal and poppy seeds. Grind all masala ingredients into fine paste.
- Add oil in a pan, once it is hot add sliced onions, ground nuts and sliced green chilies.
- Saute for a while till ground nuts turn crisp.
- Add sliced tomatoes, yogurt/ curd, sliced brinjals and sprinkle little hing/ asafetida.
- Sprinkle turmeric powder, salt, ground vangi bath masala powder.
Note: Adjust salt and spiciness as per your taste.
- Mix all ingredients till they are properly coated to brinjals.
- Close the lid and let brinjal cook for 2-3 minutes till it becomes soft.
- If you already have cooked rice then add 1 bowl of it and mix well.
Tip: While cooking rice, add coconut water to enhance the flavor of the rice.
- Sprinkle ½ tbsp. garam masala powder for additional flavor.
- Once it is almost done, add a ½ piece of lemon extract and remove from heat.
Tip: Don’t cook further after lemon juice is added, it may leave a sour taste.
- Garnish vangi bath recipe with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Vangi Bath Recipe Video: