Sometimes you can substitute raw barley with powder as it takes time for soaking and boiling. For using powder, one needs to soak and clean with adequate water and then dry under the fan or low light. Once they turn crunchy you can powder and store them for one year.
If you are planning to make Vegetable Barley soup a bit spicy you can add little more pepper powder or else you can add garam masala or sambar masala accordingly. You may also like Vegetable milk soup, sweet corn soup and tomato cabbage soup.
Vegetable Barley Soup, How to Make Vegetable Barley Soup, Barley Soup
- Barley – 2 tbsp.
- Tomatoes – ½ kg.
- Carrot – 1 no.
- Onion – 1 no.
- Mint leaves – ½ bunch
- Butter – 2 tbsp.
- Pepper powder – ½ tbsp.
- Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp.
- Salt - As per your taste
- Slice onions and tomatoes into small pieces.
- Pell the skin of carrot and slice them into small pieces
Tip: I have used very little vegetables, if you want to make nutritional soup, you can add other vegetables like cauliflower, beetroot, potatoes and even pumpkin. Note: Whatever the vegetables you add, make sure to add adequate water while boiling and you need to adjust salt as per your taste.
- In a vessel, add barley and water.
- Boil them for a minute and add above sliced veggies.
Tip: Fibre content in barley may upset your stomach, I suggest you soak them for at least 4 hours and discard water.
- Boil until pieces are cooked and almost about to mash.
- Using a skillet, remove all the ingredients and extract only juice.
- Now add salt, pepper powder, mint leaves and coriander leaves.
- Boil further for 5 minutes and serve hot.