Vegetable Idli Upma Recipe is one of the breakfast recipes made from leftover idli’s. In South India this recipe is very famous, I have seen people make this recipe in a simple way by just tampering and adding it to mashed leftover idlis.
Even I followed the same but made it a bit healthier. Sometimes idli may taste tangling or even become hard to eat. In order to remove that flavor, I added vegetables. It doesn’t even need any side dish, it can be served as breakfast or as an evening tiffin.
Although we make idli in regular passion, sometimes because of the change in whether idli’s come out very hard to eat. In that scenario instead of wasting or throwing away them, we can make Vegetable Idli Upma.
Vegetable Idli Upma Recipe, How to Make Vegetable Idli Upma, Idli Upma
- Idli – 5 no. medium size
- Onions – 2 no. medium size
- Cooked vegetables of your choice – 1 cup
- Red chilies – 2 no.
- Green chilies – 2 no.
- Curry leaves – 2 tbsp.
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tbsp.
- jeera – ¼ tbsp.
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Channa dal – 1 tbsp.
- Peanuts – 3 tbsp.
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp.
- Oil – 2 tbsp.
- Salt – as per your taste.
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp.
- Make Idli recipe if you have to start from scratch, if you already have them then mash them so that they become lose and powdery, keep aside.
- In a pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds, peanuts, chana dal and jeera, sauté for a while.
- Add sliced onions, green chillies and curry leaves.
- Meanwhile, boil your favourite vegetables like peas, carrot, beans, potatoes etc.
- Sprinkle salt, turmeric powder and add mashed idli powder and mix well.
- At the end of the recipe when you are about to remove from flame, add lemon juice and garnish with coriander leaves.
How to Make Vegetable Idli Upma Recipe:
- Mash the leftover idli’s in a pan.
Tip: Refrigerating makes them hard but it becomes easy to mash them. If you are making with hot idlies they become paste or sticky.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, jeera, channa dal and peanuts.
- After a minute add onions, green chillies, curry leaves and fry them till they reach golden brown color. At the end add cooked vegetables and saute for a while.
Tip: If you like you can even add green peas along with onions.
- Add 1 tbsp. salt (as per your taste).
- Add turmeric powder and mix well.
- Now mix above with idli powder, mix well.
- Add lemon juice, mix well.
- Garnish Vegetable Idli Upma with coriander leaves and serve hot.