Tomato Pappu is one of the famous and vegetarian foods in Andhra. Andhra people believe kandi pappu or tur dal with tomato is a winning combination. This dish is served as a main course with rice. When eaten with ghee you will get dazzling experience. Masala used in this dish are made with appropriate mixture of spices which give aromatic and delicious taste.In South India it is also called as sambar or pappu charu.
Toor Dal / kandipappu – 100 gms
Tomato – ¼ kg
Tamarind – Lemon ball size 1
Salt – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1 pinch
For the popu/tadka
Garlic cloves – 5
Red mirchi – 1
Curry leaves – 1 sping
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Fenugreek seeds – ½ tsp
Mirchi powder – ½ tsp
asofoetida powder – ½ tsp
Oil – 2 tsp
Preparation of Tomato Pappu:
- Wash dal, add ¼ liter water and boil in a separate vessel
- After dal gets boiled add tomatoes and boil for a while and later add tamarind juice, salt and turmeric powder and boil for a min. Once cooked, mash the mixture and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a separate sauce pan and add garlic cloves, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, green chillies and asofoetida powder
- Once every thing is fried put this mixture in the mashed dal and boil for a minute
- Tomato pappu is ready. Serve hot.