Sambar Recipe is considered as a traditional vegetable stew of South India which is made with yellow lentil, tamarind extract, and vegetables. It goes well with white rice. Sambar Recipe with Vegetables is very famous in Udupi restaurants as it is served with idli, dosas and other breakfast items.
In this recipe, I have used Sambar powder (In my previous post I have explained how to make this powder), to enhance its flavor and aroma.
Sambar, How to Make Sambar Recipe, Sambar Recipe with Vegetables
Sambar Recipe is considered as a traditional vegetable stew of South India which is made with yellow lentil, tamarind extract, and vegetables.
Ingredients for Sambar Recipe:
- Yellow Lentil/ Tuvar Dal - 3/4 cup
- Vegetables - 3 cups like onions, bottle gourd, drum sticks, carrots etc.
- Sambar powder - 2 tbsp.
- Green chilies - 3
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- Tamarind - lemon size
- Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp.
- Curry leaves - 1 tbsp.
- Sugar - ½ teaspoon optional
- Salt – As per your taste 2 tsp.
- Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp.
Popu/ Tempering for Sambar Recipe:
- Oil - 1 tbsp.
- Black gram dhal - ½ tbsp.
- Hing powder - ¼ tbsp.
- Red chili – 1 no.
- Mustard seeds - 1 tbsp.
How to Make Sambar Recipe:
- Clean the dal so that foreign particles are removed.
- Add 1 ½ cup of water to pressure cooker and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Keep dal aside so that it cools, meanwhile soak tamarind by adding 1 cup of water for about 5 minutes.
- Extract juice from the soaked tamarind and keep aside.
- Once every thing is cooled, mash dal.
- Cut vegetables and add cook them in a separate vessel by adding 1 ½ cup water.
- Once you find vegetables are half cooked, add slit chilies, tamarind extract, sugar, and salt.
- We need to lower flame and let the recipe cook until you notice raw smell disappears/ vegetables are cooked.
- Add mashed dal, little sambar powder (to enhance flavor) and curry leaves.
Tip: If you like to make it more liquid add extra water and adjust salt or else you can thicken.
- Heat oil in a pan and add black gram dal, red chilies, and mustard seeds.
- Once you notice mustard seeds spluttering we can add hing powder.
- Transfer tempering ingredients to boiling Sambar Recipe and put the lid over the top.
- Let it cook for a minute and serve hot by garnishing with coriander leaves.