Masala vada is one of the most eaten Indian snack or fry side Indian snack recipes. Learn how to make Masala vada snack food in our quick and easy recipes section. Usually, this snack recipe is prepared during the evening and served along with tea.
Ingredients: (1 cup=200ml.)
Urad dal – 1 cup
Moong Dal – 1 cup
Chana dal – 1 cup
Onions – ½ bowl
Ginger – ¼ cup.
Green chilies – ¼ cup.
Curry leaves – 2 tbsp.
Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp.
Garam masala powder – ½ tbsp.
Finely sliced green chilies – 1 tbsp.
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp.
Water – To soak dal
Salt – 1 ½ tbsp. (as per your taste)
Oil – to deep fry.
How to Make Masala Vada:
- Soak urad dal, chana dal and moong dal separately for 1 hour.
- Add urad dal to wet grinder, after few seconds of grind, add ginger pieces.
Tip: If you want to soak dal early then add a piece of iron while soaking.
Note: Salt makes batter become lose so add little water while grinding.
Note: Using little water keeps batter thick and hard which helps in absorbing less oil while deep fry.
- Add green chilies and salt. Grind till you get medium coarse texture, remove from the grinder and keep aside.
- Grind moong dal separately.
- Similarly soak and grind chana dal coarsely.
- Take little portions of urad dal, moong dal, chana dal and sliced onions.
- Add ginger garlic paste, curry leaves, coriander leaves and 1 tbsp. finely sliced green chilies.
- Continue adding garam masala powder, ½ tbsp. salt and mix all ingredients.
- Wet your hands with water, take a small lump of batter in your hand and make it like a ball, and then make it flat. Gently release vada in oil and do this process for all vadas.
Tip: If you are not convenient in doing vada in hands you can make use of polythene sheet.
- Once you find vada turning its color, flip to other side and once all change their color to golden brown.
- Remove from oil and place them on tissue paper.
- Masala Vada tastes great with tomato ketchup or coconut chutney.
Masala Vada Video Recipe: