Beerakaya Pappu Recipe tastes great when it is served with hot rice and ghee. Yellow lentil with ridge gourd is one of the best combinations in vegetarian curry recipes. You can even serve this dish along with Paratha. Vegetable Curry recipes from India are spicy and low in fat.
Nowadays in order to maintain variation in recipes and provide nutritional food, many Andhra restaurants are making dal recipes with different combinations. We may find dal recipes with the combination of radish, drumsticks, carrots, ridge gourd and sometimes even leafy vegetables.
When it comes to South India, especially Andhra Pradesh and surrounding areas, people like to make dal recipes with either yellow lentils, moong dal or chana dal. In some areas, people prefer moong dal during summer seasons as it is believed to be cooling food.
Apart from all these points, this recipe is packed with protein, low in cholesterol and minerals like iron, zinc, and manganese.
Beerakaya Pappu, How to Make Beerakaya Pappu Recipe, Lentil Curry
Ingredients for Beerakaya Pappu:
- Yello lentil/ Kandi Pappu - 100 gms.
- Ridge Gourd - 1/4 kg.
- Salt - 1 tsp
Beerakaya Pappu seasoning ingredients:
- Garlic - 5 cloves
- Curry leaves. 2 tsp.
- Dry red chili - 1 pc.
- Mustard seeds coriander seeds, cumin seeds - 1 tsp.
- Oil- 2 tsp.
- Coriander leaves - 2 tsp.
How to Make Beerakaya Pappu Recipe:
- Clean and peel beerakaya. Cut into small pieces.
Tip: Before cutting all pieces, cut a small piece and taste it, sometimes ridge gourd tastes bitter. A single bitter vegetable is enough to ruin our recipe.
Tip: Clean gourd with water before peeling, as this skin can be used to prepare beerakaya pachadi.
- Add 1/4 liter water and half boil dal.
- Add ridge gourd pieces with half boil dal and cook until dal is fully cooked.
- On other side heat oil in a saucepan and add garlic cloves (crushed), mustard seeds, coriander seeds, curry leaves and dry red chilies and fry.
- Add this mixture to boiling dal.
- Beerakaya Pappu Recipe is ready, garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.