Murg Musallam Recipe is one of the famous and delicious chicken breast recipes which are roasted with spices and prepared by adding saffron. Learn how to make Murgh Musallam Mughlai with our easy to prepare steps.
The word Murg Musallam means whole chicken and is a famous Mughalai dishes taken from North India. As per Wikipedia, this recipe is referred to as one of the favorite dishes of Muhammad bin Tughluq.
I have read an online article where they have stuffed boiled eggs (tossed with onion and garam masala) into the body of the whole chicken (internal organ removed) and marinated along with it. Once marination is done, they followed the same preparation method.
Murg Musallam Recipe, How to Make Murgh Musallam Recipe Mughlai
Ingredients for Murg Musallam Recipe:
- Chicken - 1 large piece
- Coriander seeds - 1 tbsp.
- Onion sliced - 1 no.
- Aniseed - 1 tbsp.
- Dry red chilies - 4 no.
- Cumin seeds - 1 tbsp.
- Black cardamoms - 2 no.
- Gram dal roasted - 4 no.
- Cloves- 4 no.
- White cardamoms - 4 no.
- Coconut - 2-inch piece
- Saffron - A pinch
- Almond Soaked in water for half an hour - 1 no.
- Yogurt/ curd - 1/2 kg.
- Ghee - 6 tbsp.
- Salt - As per your taste
How to Make Murg Musallam Recipe:
- Soak saffron in a hot water (consider 1 tsp. of water)
- Heat frying pan and roast remaining spices and grind together.
- Coat chicken with ghee and roast on all sides in a saucepan until you get brown color.
- Remove and fry onions by adding remaining ghee until you get golden brown color.
- Add coconut and ground spices, fry further for 5 more minutes.
- Now put back the meat into the pan.
- On the other hand blend curd by adding 1 1/2 liters of water by adding a little salt.
- Add this blended yogurt to the pan
- Cover the top with a lid and cook until the liquid gets dried and make sure that the meat is still tender.
Tip: If you feel that the meat splits due to overcooking remove the lid so that water evaporates faster.
- Murg Musallam Recipe is done. Just before you are about to remove from flame add saffron water garnished with chopped almonds.