Rasam masala powder is a famous and simple south Indian recipe. This is a base masala powder recipe for making tomato rasam or any other rasam. Usually, masala is a blend of spices which enhances flavor and aroma of any recipe.
This recipe can be made in many varieties based on your taste and geographic location. We find few adjustments with respect to ingredients, there may be less or more quantity or ingredients in the preparation of this recipe.
Each spice added in this recipe has its own prominence, for an example, jeera aids in digestion, roasted chana dal not only brings aroma but also acts as a thickening agent. Based on usage you can adjust the spiciness of this recipe, if you are preparing this recipe to use with plain rice, you can maintain spiciness but if you want to use as a soup then you need to reduce the number of red chilies.
Apart from learning how to make rasam powder, one needs to learn how to store it also, in order to increase its shelf life one should store in an airtight container or glass container (best option). If moisture catches this recipe, you may lose aroma and its flavor.
Usually, Rasam recipes (Indian plain soups) consumed with rice and in many places, it is also used as a starter as this helps in digestion and increasing metabolism. Apart from being spicy, this recipe is also light to stomach so Indians treat rasam soups as a starter recipe.
Rasam Masala, Rasam Masala Powder, How to Make Rasam Powder
Ingredients for Rasam masala:
- Coconut grated - 5 tbsp.
- Chana Daal seeds - 4 tbsp.
- Black Pepper - 2 tbsp.
- Red Chillies - 8
- Asafoetida - 1 tbsp.
- Coriander Seeds - 3 tbsp.
- Ghee - 3 tbsp.
How to Make Rasam Masala Recipe:
- In order to enhance flavor roast chana dal, asafoetida, and black pepper
- Once dal turns its colour add chillies.
- If you are making Rasam masala powder for instant use, it’s better to have fresh coconut.
- Add all the ingredients and make a fine paste.
- If you are making for future use, its a better option to add dry coconut as moisture may reduce its life.