Pav bhaji is one of the famous dishes in North India. It is made from mixed vegetables. It can also be said as healthy recipe. Children love to eat Pav bhaji because of its aromatic and delicious taste. It is served with soft bread which is sliced horizontally and fired in between by applying butter. Because of its crispness in between the bread and soft in middle, it becomes a great combination.
Pavs (square shaped soft bread (bun) which is 4×5 inch size) – 8
Butter – to shallow fry.
Capsicum (finely chopped) – 1
Tomatoes (finely chopped) – 2
Onions (finely chopped) – 2
Mixed vegetables (carrots, beans, potatoes, cauliflower, bottle gourds, etc.) – 2 ½ cups
Pavbhaji masala – 2 tsps.
Shelled peas – ½ cup
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp.
Butter – 2 tsps.
Sugar – ½ tsp.
Chilli powder – 1 ½ tsps.
Salt – as per your taste
Garlic (crushed) – ½ tsp.
Ginger (grated) – ½ tsp.
Lemon juice – ½ tsp.
Coriander leaves (chopped) – 1 tsp.
Onion – 1
Lemon – small pieces
Prepare Pav Bhaji:
- Grate all vegetables, put all mixed vegetables into pressure cooker.
- Cook vegetables and peas (with 1 cup water)
- Drain the water and mash coarsely
- Heat butter on a pan and add ginger, garlic, onions, capsicum.
- Let them fry for a minute, later add tomatoes and fry further till soft
- Add turmeric, chilli powder, pavbhaji masala, sugar, salt and fry for more 2 minutes
- When it comes to boil stage, lower the heat and stir by mashing the pieces coarsely.
- Add lemon juice and garnish with coriander leaves and a piece of butter
- Slit the pav (soft bread) horizontally (like a book) leaving one edge attached
- Apply butter on both sides and roast on a pan/griddle till surface becomes crispy
- Pav bhaji is ready. Serve hot with bhaji with a piece of lemon and chopped onions.