Mango pickle and Lemon are my favorite recipes as they have a long shelf life and can be consumed throughout the year. All we need to take care of the pickle is to store in an airtight container as there is a risk of forming fungus.
Colour of the pickle may change over the period of time, but don’t worry citric acid present in lemon preserves it for long period. Moreover, the flavor of lemon pieces gets enhance as time passes. Lemon loses its sourness and absorbs flavors of spices we add.
Once we open the container we should keep track of fungus, we need to mix all pickle for at least 10 days and if it’s stored in the refrigerator, it will be preserved for a period of 2 months. Pickles play a prominent role along with Indian dishes, especially in South India, every full meal or thali will accompany at least one pickle item.
Lemon Pickle Recipe, How to Make Lemon Pickle Recipe, Nimbu Ka Achar
- Lemons - 6 no.
- Methi - 1 tbsp.
- Hing - 1 tbsp.
- Chilly powder - 5 tsp.
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp.
- Asafetida - a pinch
- Oil - 5 tbsp.
- Salt - 5 tsp.
How to Make Lemon Pickle Recipe:
- Cut lemons into small pieces and de-seed them.
- Add salt and marinate for 12 hours.
- Add methi, turmeric and chilly powder, mix well.
Tip: As per your taste lower or increase salt and red chili powder.
- Heat oil and fry mustard seeds by adding a pinch of asafetida.
- Pour this over lemon mixture and mix well.
- Store in dry and airtight container.
- If needed you can add extra oil (heated) to preserve from any bacterial or fungal infections.
- Oil needed to cover the surface of the pickle.
Tip: We can even refrigerate pickle for long shelf life.
- Lemon pickle recipe tastes good after one week of marination.