Chicken Tikka, How to Make Chicken Tikka Recipe, Indian Chicken Tikka
Chicken Tikka is coated with a special blend of spices and cooked in a tandoori oven. If there is any recipe which is available in all Indian restaurants then it’s non-other than Indian chicken tikka, this is because many Indians are masala lovers. Chicken chunks are marinated with the blend of yogurt and other spices which enhance its flavor.
When you eat this recipe with butter naan bread, each bite gives you the flavor of it. Some say it gives you the flavor of pizza.
Tikka means chunks or bits of meat, Indians prefer chicken tikka type because small chunks absorb blend of spices when marinated and give you an authentic flavor. Usually, boneless chicken chunks are baked in traditional clay oven with grill.
I have seen people cooking this recipe in small pots with wooden stick pierced into chicken meat and cooked under red hot coal. In this scenario wooden stick is soaked in water and cooked so that stick is not burned.
Ingredients for chicken tikka:
Boneless chicken – 800 gms.
Curd/Yogurt – 300 gms.
Red chili powder (Kashmiri ) 1 tsp.
Garam masala powder 1 tsp.
Chat masala – required
Lemon juice 2 tbsp.
Ginger garlic paste – 4 tsp.
Red orange colour – few drops (optional)
Cumin powder – ½ tsp.
Butter for coating
Salt to taste
How to Make Chicken Tikka:
- Wash chicken pieces and cut into small cubes.
- Apply lemon juice and salt and keep aside.
- On other hand whisk yogurt in a bowl, except chat masala and butter add all other ingredients and mix well.
- Apply the above mix to pieces and marinate for 3 hours in refrigerator.
- Put these pieces to skewer and cook in a tandoor for 6-7 minutes
- Coat these pieces with butter in intervals of time until they get slightly coloured.
- Chicken Tikka Recipe is ready, sprinkle with chat masala and serve hot.