Dry Anchovies Fry or Karuvaddu or Nethili meen fry is one of the spicy and crispy South Indian Special snack. Although this small fish is smelly, it can be stored by removing its head for years. In villages, they store it by removing its moisture by sundry and remove its head and keep in tight containers.
While making Nethili fry we need to wash it on a rough surface with plenty of water. If not washed properly we may find sandy while having a bite.
Some people like to add curry leaves in good quantity while frying for aroma and flavor and some like it to keep simple by keeping it spicy. Whatever it is you can make it in your way based on occasion and your mood. You may also like Dry Anchovies Curry.
Dry Anchovies Fry | Karuvaddu Nethili Fry | How to Make Dry Anchovies Fry
- Dry Anchovies/ netallu/ nettanalu – 250 gms.
- Oil – 3 tbsp.
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tbsp.
- Salt – 1/2 tbsp.
- Red chilly powder – 1/2 tbsp.
- Garam masala powder – 1/4 tbsp.
- Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp.
- Clean dry anchovies properly by rubbing them on a rough surface.
- Sprinkle turmeric powder and salt at last and wash them and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add netallu and sprinkle turmeric powder.
Stir fry over low heat till they turn crisp.
- Sprinkle salt and red chili powder as per your taste.
- Add little garam masala powder to enhance flavour and serve once they are cooled.
- Cleaning of dry anchovies may take time but it will eliminate foreign particles.
- Disinfecting with salt and turmeric powder is a must for all dry varieties of fish.
How to Make Dry Anchovies Fry:
- Wash Netallu with plenty of water on a rough surface like the rock to remove any mud or sand.
Tip: Remove head and clean by adding a little salt and turmeric powder under running water.
- Add 3 tbsp. oil in a pan and add cleaned dry anchovies, saute until the moisture in fish is removed.
Tip: Few people like to add curry leaves before adding dry fish for extra flavor and few like to keep normal.
- Sprinkle little turmeric powder to remove any pungent smell.
Tip: Turmeric powder acts as an antimicrobial so it’s a good idea to add to fish.
- Add salt as per your taste as dry fish sometimes have salty in nature.
- Adjust Red chilly powder as per your taste. Sometimes we tend to eat spicy during winter or rainy seasons, based on the occasion.
- Add garam masala powder and mix well so that spices get mixed well to karuvaddu fry.
- Stir-fry for a minute until Netallu turns crispy.
- Dry Anchovies fry recipe is done, serve hot along with sambar and rice combination.
How to make dry anchovies fry video: