Kesari Kheer Recipe | How to make Kesari Kheer Recipe
In India Kheer made with Kesari strands are considered as auspicious and is made of all major events and occasions. In many places, people offer this recipe as Naivedyam (food offered to God) on many festival occasions. One can find this recipe prepared even during marriages and special events.
In order to get enhance the aroma, we use saffron and cardamom powder. As saffron rice pudding is prepared during the festive season, we usually top with dried fruits to make it healthy. People call this recipe with different names based on geo-location. Ex: in South India, we call it as Payasam. This recipe is similar to phirni recipe but we use whole rice instead of rice powder.
Kesar Strands (saffaron) – 6-8 no.
Full cream milk – 1.5 liters
Basmathi Rice – ¼ cup
Sugar – 5 tbsp.
Cardamom powder – ½ tbsp.
Almonds – 10 no. (soaked and sliced)
Cashew – 5-10 no.
Raisins – 12 no.
How to Make Kesari Kheer Recipe:
- Take hollow microwave safe bowl and pour milk into it.
- At medium temperature, boil milk for 5 minutes.
- Clean basmati rice and strain water from it.
- Add rice with milk and cook for 20 minutes on medium temperature.
Tip: If you have any plans to substitute Sugar with jaggery, then it can be added at this point. But adding jaggery may make this recipe look a bit dark.
Tip: Always remember to add sweetening ingredient at the end of the cooking process.
- Add kesar strands, sugar, cardamom powder, cashew and raisins.
- Mix together and cook on medium temperature for more 10 minutes.
Note: Based on the moisture level, one should break down the microwave timing and stir in between, else there may be burning at the bottom and lose the flavor of the recipe.
- Garnish Kesari Kheer recipe with almond slices and serve hot or cold.