Masala Dosa, How to Make Masala Dosa Recipe, South Indian Masala Dosa
Masala Dosa or South Indian Masala Dosa is one of the popular breakfast recipes in south India. From one end it is crispy and from another end, it’s filled with stuffed onions and boiled potatoes. You can simply eat without any munching stuff. Its masala makes you crave to eat one more.
Ingredients for Masala Dosa:
Plain rice – 1 cup
Parboiled rice – 1 cup
Soda bi carbonate – 1 /2 tbsp.
White urad dal – 1/4 cup
Fenugreek (methi) seeds – 1/2 tbsp.
Ghee or oil as preferred – 10-12 tbsp.
Yogurt (curd) the batter – 1/2 cup
Water for grinding
How to Make Masala Dosa Recipe:
- Wash dal and rice with water.
- Add water to the rice and dal, along with these both add little methi seeds.
- Allow this three to soak for 7-8 hours.
- Now rewash again for 2-3 times.
- Grind to a paste (if needed add a little water). After grinding you should feel rava like grains.
- Add little soda bicarbonate to make the paste swell. Add little salt and mix well
- To make the paste swell keep it in a warm place for 9-10 hours or overnight.
- Beat the curd like paste well. You can add little more water to dilute the paste.
- Make sure the consistency of the batter is enough thick to coat the spoon when dipped in it.
- Heat the non-stick tawa/pan and pour a spoonful of batter at the center.
Note: The batter should be poured on the pan only when it is heated well.
- Spread the batter throughout the pan as a thin layer.
- Pour little oil/ghee so that the layer comes out crispy.
Tip: If you are using iron tawa then slice the onion into two half’s and rub the piece over the iron tawa to make sure the paste doesn’t stick to the pan.
- Spread masala in the center and fold in a triangle manner.
- Masala Dosa Recipe is ready. Serve hot with sambar or coconut chutney.
South Indian Masala Dosa Filling:
Ingredients for Masala Dosa Filling:
Potatoes (peeled and boiled)
Onions (sliced) – 2 large
Chopped coriander – 1 tsp.
Green chillies – 4
Cashews halved – 9
Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp.
Udad dal – ½ tsp.
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp.
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp.
Oil – 2 tsp.
Salt to taste
How to Make South Indian Masala Dosa:
- Chop green chillies, add boiled potatoes and mash coarsely.
- Heat oil, and fry cashews until golden brown.
- Add cumin, mustard seeds and urad dal and fry until they splutter.
- Add chillies and onions. Let them fry until tender.
- Add turmeric powder, mashed potatoes, salt and coriander.
- Mix well. Masala for Masala Dosa is ready.