Puran Poli, How to Make Puran Poli Recipe, Bobbatlu, Bobbatlu Recipe
Puran poli or Bobbatlu Recipe is one of the tasty and high-calorie sweet dishes. You can feel the aroma of the dish from distance. This recipe is a kind of Indian flat bread made using ghee. It is one of the easy and healthy recipes as it has no added preservatives and is made from yellow gram and ghee as main ingredients.
In different parts of India, it is called with different names. In North India, especially in Maharashtra, it is called as Puran Poli and in South India, it is called as Bobbatlu. As said earlier, as per geolocation, this recipe is famous during certain seasons. For an example, this recipe in North India, during the festive season of Ganesh Chaturthi, this is prepared as Naivedyam (food offering to God) whereas, in South India, this recipe is prepared during Holi festival.
Ingredients for Puran Poli:
Yellow gram – 300 gms.
Plain flour – 150 gms.
Jaggery – 300 gms.
Ghee – 1 tsp.
Cardamom powder – 1 tsp.
Water (warm) – to knead
Ghee to serve
How to Make Puran Poli Recipe:
- Boil yellow gram until it is soft
Note: While boiling make sure they are not broken into pieces.
- Drain all water and keep aside.
- Mash/ grate dal along with jaggery.
Note: Make sure that jaggery is lumps free and mixed well with dal.
- Now heat the saucepan and cook this mixture until you get soft lump by stirring continuously.
- On other side make the soft pliable dough by adding water and little ghee.
- Make roti of 4-inch size and fill will dal mixture and seal by making again round dough.
- Carefully roll it making sure dal doesn’t come out.
- Puran poli tastes good when it can be rolled as thin as possible. When it is thin it can be cooked from inside easily.
- Roast both sides on a frying pan until golden brown.
- In most cases, ghee inside will ooze out.
- It tastes good when hot so serve hot by applying little ghee on top.