Tomato Gravy Recipe, How to Make Tomato Gravy, Andhra Tomato Curry
Tomato Gravy Recipe is one of the traditional Indian recipes which can be used directly with snacks or roti. It is sometimes used as a base recipe to prepare recipes like Paneer recipes, brinjal curry and chicken recipes.
During the months of December and January tomato prices in India comes down, I make use of this and make all kinds of tomato recipes like Tomato Chutney, Tomato Pappu, tomato soup etc. Along with instant curries sometimes I also make sun dried tomato pickle for future use.
As tomatoes are one of the staple foods, in South India many people make use of price drop. I see people preserving tomatoes by drying them in salt and some making pickles. When I am sort of curries, I make use of chutney or pickles made with tomatoes and have with chapati or steamed rice.
Andhra Tomato Curry will be a bit spicy and tingling taste where it is prepared at low flame by adding all ingredients at a time and cooked under wooden fire in earthen pots.
Juicy ripe tomatoes – 2 ( large)
Capsicum – 1 small
Onion – 1 large
Ginger – 1 tsp. (grated)
Garlic – 1 tsp. ( grated)
Coriander leaves – 1 tsp. (finely chopped)
Peanuts – tsp.
Garam masala powder 1/2 tsp.
Red chilly powder – 3/4 tsp.
Cinnamon clove powder – 1/4 tsp.
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp.
Sugar – 1/2 tsp.
Ghee – 2 tsp.
Salt – as per your taste
How to Make Tomato Gravy Recipe:
- Dry roast peanut lightly and grind coarsely.
- Put tomatoes and capsicum in a food chopper and make semi-puree.
- Slice onions very fine, if needed you can use the chopper.
- Heat ghee in a heavy pan and fry onions till golden brown.
- Add ginger and garlic and saute for a while
- Add tomato capsicum puree and cook for a minute or two.
- When it starts boiling add remaining masalas sugar salt and peanut grind.
- Tomato gravy is done.
- At this point of time, you can add veggies like brinjal, baby potatoes, baby corn, cauliflower etc.
- Once veggies are cooked under low flame, you will find ghee getting separated from the gravy.
- Garnish tomato gravy recipe with coriander leaves and serve hot.