Vegetable Idli Upma Recipe, How to Make Vegetable Idli Upma, Idli Upma
Vegetable Idli Upma is one of the breakfast recipes made from left over idli’s. In South India this recipe is very famous, I have seen people make this recipe in a simple way by just tampering and adding it to mashed leftover idlis.
Even I followed the same but made it a bit healthier. Sometimes idli may taste tangling or even become hard to eat. In order to remove that flavor, I added vegetables. It doesn’t even need any side dish, it can be served as breakfast or as evening tiffin.
Although we make idli in regular passion, sometimes because of change in whether idili’s come out very hard to eat. In that scenario instead of wasting or throwing away them, we can make Vegetable Idli Upma.
Idli – 5 no. (medium size)
Onions – 2 no. (medium size)
Cooked vegetables of your choice – 1 cup
Red chilies – 2 no.
Green chilies – 2 no.
Curry leaves – 2 tbsp.
Mustard seeds – ¼ tbsp.
Turmeric powder – a pinch
Channa dal – 1 tbsp.
Lemon juice – 1 tbsp.
Oil – 2 tbsp.
Salt – as per your taste.
Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp.
How to Make Vegetable Idli Upma:
- Mash the left over idli’s in a pan.
Tip: Refrigerating makes them hard but it becomes easy to mash them. If you are making with hot idlies they become paste or sticky.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds when they start spluttering add red and green chilies, chana dal and curry leaves.
- After a minute add onions and fry them till it reaches golden brown color.
Tip: If you like you can even add green peas along with onions.
- Add salt and turmeric powder and sauté for a while.
- Now mix above with idli pieces, mix well.
- Add lemon juice, mix well.
- Garnish Vegetable idli upma with coriander leaves and serve hot.