In order to give a rich experience, I have added both jaggery and sugar at equal proportions. Semolina is cooked like gooey mass and cooled down to make small laddus or undrallu. These balls are then cooked further in jaggery syrup.
Ganesh Chaturthi is a festival of food and masti during 11-day celebrations. Usually, it is celebrated in Bhadrapada masa, the 4th day of Hindu lunar calendar. Although this is a food festival, I recommend you to focus on nutritional recipes.
You may also like other Vinayaka Chavithi Recipes:
Bellam Undrallu or Bellam Kudumulu - Vinayaka Chavithi Naivedyam
Bellam Undrallu or Bellam Kudumulu is one of the famous Vinayaka Chavithi Naivedyams.
- Semolina/ wheat rava – 2 cups.
- Green cardamom – 17 no. roasted
- Jaggery/ Bellam – 1 cup
- Finely sliced fresh coconut – 1 ½ cups.
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Ghee – 1 tbsp.
- Salt – 1 tbsp.
- Water – required quantity
- First, make cardamom powder by adding green cardamom and 2 tbsp. sugar.
- Boil 3 glass water and add salt, sugar and coconut pieces.
- Cook for a minute and add cardamom powder.
- Add wheat rava gently by stirring continuously.
- Cook for a while on low flame till it thickens.
- Off the flame and let this mixture cool.
- Once above mix is cooled, make small balls by greasing your hands with ghee, keep aside.
Tip: You can even put semolina lump in a ghee greased plate.
- Boil glass full of water and add jaggery to it.
- Add coconut pieces and little cardamom powder and cook for a while.
- Add semolina balls and cook further till you get a thick gravy.
- At last, add little more cardamom powder to enhance flavor and mix well.
- Serve Bellam undrallu recipe when they are cooled.
How to Make Bellam undrallu or Bellam Kudumulu Recipe:
- In a mixer, add green cardamom and sugar. Grind to a soft powder.
- In a vessel, boil 3 glass water (approx. 750 ml.)
- Add sugar, salt and coconut pieces. Add cardamom powder and cook for a minute with lid covered.
- Add semolina or wheat rava by stirring continuously.
Note: Make sure that there is no formation of lumps.
- Grease steel plate with ghee.
- Put a small lump of semolina on a steel plate.
- Make small balls of 1-inch size by greasing your hands with ghee and keep aside.
- In a separate vessel, add a glass full of water and jaggery to make jaggery syrup.
- Once the syrup starts boiling add remaining coconut pieces and cardamom powder.
- Cook for a while and add semolina balls.
Tip: There is no rule for jaggery consistency. Once jaggery becomes sticky, add semolina balls.
- When you get a thick consistency, before removing from flame, sprinkle cardamom powder and mix well.
- Serve Bellam Undrallu once they are cooled.