Chole Paneer Recipe is one of the North Indian recipes. Instead of cottage cheese, I have used tofu cheese for extra flavor. This Punjabi Style Paneer Chana Masala Recipe is explained with step by step images along with the video.
In order to obtain gravy, we didn’t add extra spices we added potatoes and channa dal and tomato puree. Also, we have given a small touch of sugar to neutralize the sourness of tomatoes. You may also like Palak paneer recipe and Paneer Makhani recipe.
Chole Paneer Recipe | Punjabi Style Paneer Chana Masala Recipe
- Chole – 250 gms.
- Channa dal – ½ cup.
- Paneer – 200 gms.
- Tomato puree – 1 cup.
- Cashew paste – 1 cup.
- Green cardamoms – 2 no.
- Cloves – 6 no.
- Cinnamon stick – 1 inch stick
- Biryani flower – 1 no.
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Cloves – 10-12 no.
- Potatoes – 2 no. medium size
- Salt – 1 tbsp. as per your taste
- Water – 1 cup.
- Turmeric powder – ½ tbsp.
- Red chilly powder – 1 tbsp.
- Coriander powder – ½ tbsp.
- Mint leaves – 2 tbsp.
- Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp.
- Sugar – ½ tbsp. optional
- In a blender add green cardamom, cinnamon sticks, cloves and biryani flower.
- Add ginger and garlic pieces and make a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and add paneer pieces, sauté till they turn golden brown color.
- In another vessel, boil potatoes and slice them into cubes.
- In the a oil of paneer fry, sauté potatoes to golden brown and keep aside.
- On another hand, blend cashews by adding little water and make a smooth paste.
- Boil chole and chana dal, keep aside.
- With leftover oil after frying potato slices, add cashew paste and cook for a minute.
- Add water, red chili powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder.
Add mint leaves, chole, and chana dal mix well.
- Add paneer and potato cubes.
- While they are cooking, make a cup of tomato puree and add them.
- Cook for 2 minutes and serve hot.
How to Make Chole Paneer Recipe:
- Add green cardamom, cloves, cinnamon stick and biryani flower into the blender.
- Wash ginger and remove any mud and slice them into pieces and add it to blender.
- Add garlic pieces either by removing their skin or without to blender and make a smooth paste.
- Meanwhile, add oil and fry paneer until they turn light golden brown color, keep aside.
- On other side boil potatoes, peel skin and slice them into small cubes and fry them until they turn golden brown, keep aside.
- In the leftover oil, add blended paste and sauté for a while.
- Make a paste of cashew and put in this mix.
- Add ¾ tbsp. salt and mix.
- Once rawness of cashew paste is cooked, add 1 cup water and boil.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilly powder, coriander powder and mint leaves.
- Mix well and add coriander leaves.
- While this process is going on, boil chole and chana dal and add this to this mix.
- Add fried paneer pieces.
- Add Roasted potato pieces.
- Meanwhile, make a cup of tomato puree and cook it separately.
- Add ½ tbsp. sugar to tomato mix if you feel it is sour or to enhance its flavor.
- Add chole paneer masala mix to tomato puree and cook further for 2 minutes.
- Garnish Chole Paneer Recipe with green chillies and coriander leaves.
- Serve hot.
How to Make Chole Paneer Masala Recipe Video: