Dahi Vada or Dahi Bhalla Recipe is one of the popular snack recipes in north India. Usually, spicy vada is dipped in yogurt and soaked for a period of time, later it is served by tempering with red chilies and other ingredients and served at room temperature or chilled. Sometimes this recipe is also served as a side dish.
Dahi Vada Recipe, How to Make Dahi Vada Recipe, Dahi Bhalla Recipe
Ingredients for Dahi Vada or Dahi Bhalla Recipe:
- Urad dal – 1 cup
- Yogurt – 2 cup.
- Mustard seeds – ½ tbsp.
- Cumin seeds – ½ tbsp.
- Curry leaves – 2 tbsp.
- Dry red chilies – 3 no.
- Turmeric powder – ½ tbsp.
- Ginger – ¼ cup.
- Green chilies – ¼ cup.
- Asafetida – a pinch
- Water – To soak dal and to make buttermilk.
- Salt – 3 tbsp. as per your taste
- Oil – to deep fry.
How to Make Dahi Vada Recipe:
- Soak Urad dal for an hour.
- Blend soaked urad dal by adding ginger pices, green chillies and little salt.
Note: Make sure that batter has thick consistency.
- Beat batter for a while so that we get soft and spongy vadas which again helps to absorb yogurt.
Preparation of Dahi:
- Meanwhile, in a hollow vessel add yogurt, little salt and whip so that you get soft buttermilk.
- Add little water and make medium consistency buttermilk so that Vada can absorb easily.
Making of Vada Recipe:
- In a kadai, add oil and bring it to optimum temperature.
- Take small lump of batter and make vada on hand or using medhu vada machine and drop it gently in oil.
- Deep fry vada till they attain golden brown color.
- Once they are cooked, transfer these vada into butter milk and let them soak.
Preparation of Temper to garnish:
- In a small tawa heat oil and add mustard seeds, asafetida, curry leaves, dry red chillies, turmeric powder, cumin seeds and saute for a second.
- When temper is hot, pour over Dahi Vada Recipe.
- Garnish with sliced coriander leaves. (optional)
How to Make Dahi Vada or Dahi Bhalla Recipe:
- Soak urad dal for 1 hour and add to wet grinder, after few seconds of grind, add ginger pieces.
Tip: If you want to soak dal early then add a piece of iron while soaking.
Note: Salt makes batter become lose so add little water while grinding.
Note: Using little water keeps batter thick and hard which helps in absorbing less oil while deep fry.
- Add green chilies and salt. Grind till you get medium coarse texture, remove from the grinder and keep aside.
- Whisk batter rapidly for a minute to get spongy vadas.
Preparation of Dahi/ yogurt/ buttermilk:
- Take 2 cups of yogurt and add ½ tbsp. salt and whip with whisker stick.
- Add water and dilute yogurt to required consistency.
Tip: We need to whip curd before adding water to give it creamy touch.
Making of Vada:
- Heat oil in a large kadai, once you feel oil reached optimum heat drop a small lump of batter to check oil heat if it floats then oil is ready to make vada.
- First, soak your hands in water, take a small lump of batter in your hand and make it like a ball, and then make it flat, then make a small hole in the middle. Gently release vada in oil and do this process for all vadas.
Tip: If you are not convenient in doing vada in hands you can make use of medu vada machine or repeat above step by using polythene sheet.
- Once you find vada turning its color, flip to other side and once all of them change their color to golden brown.
- Remove from oil and place them directly into buttermilk.
- Keep them aside for a minute so that vada absorbs yogurt.
- In a tawa, heat 1 spoon of oil and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and little asafetida.
- Add 2 tbsp. curry leaves, dry red chilies and sauté for a while.
- While it’s hot, add this mix to Dahivada and sprinkle little turmeric powder to attain yellowish color.
- Add coriander leaves and mix well till all the ingredients are mixed.
- Dahi Vada or Dahi Bhalla Recipe is done, serve chilled.