Garam masala powder is a blend of toasted aromatic spices. This can be called an Indian magic ingredient which enhances the taste of the recipe. You find this magic ingredient in almost all north Indian dishes. Garam masala powder is found in almost all general stores and in many variants. But my version is more aromatic and of course very fresh.
As part of the diet, we eat different foods, but when they get habitat our family members like to eat tasty food. That is the reason why we tend to eat food outside whether it is a snack or meals. That is when Garam masala come to existence, we can make garam masala as per our taste buds.
Many of us tend to purchase garam masala powder in petty shops either branded or normally packed, it is very easy to make. All you need to know the quantity or proportion of spices needed to be added to blend. When you especially pick spices of good quality and roast them and blend them you get superior quality than any branded garam masala powder.
Garam Masala Powder, Homemade Garam Masala powder Recipe
- Cumin seeds - 2 tsp.
- Cardamom seeds - 2tsp.
- Coriander seeds - 2tsp.
- Cinnamon stick broken up - one 3 inch piece
- Black peppercorns - 2 tsp.
- Whole cloves - 1 tsp.
- Saffron - 1/2 tsp. optional
- Nutmeg powder - 1tsp.
How to Make Garam Masala Powder:
- Put coriander seeds, black peppercorns, cumin seeds, cardamom seeds, grated nutmeg, saffron, white cloves in a pan and toast all the ingredients at medium heat.
- Toast the above mixture occasionally until they turn their respective colors.
Tip: You will notice aromatic smell out of the roast or roast for 10 minutes. whichever is convenient.
Note: Please do not raise the heat to save your time. By doing so you may burn the spices and the taste will change.
- Once the spices are toasted perfectly, let them cool completely.
- Grind the above mixture to fine powder. At last, add nutmeg powder and saffron and mix thoroughly.
- You can use immediately or store in an airtight container.
- Garam masala powder preserved in an airtight container and kept in dry condition can remain for about 3 months
- Although this recipe is homemade it has a shelf life. So It's a good idea to use before expiry to get authentic flavor.