Sooji Rava Upma Recipe is one of the healthy vegetable breakfast recipes. Instead of making cereal or pasta recipes which have not many nutrient foods it an alternative recipe. We can simply make this recipe without any vegetables at no time or else add few vegetables like carrot, beans, and other veggies to make it nutritional.
Sooji or semolina rava is one of the versatile ingredients in our kitchen whether it is hot or sweet we can make many delicious recipes with different flavors. If we want to have it plain then we can garnish with sev to make it crispy or else we can serve with coconut chutney.
In order to save time and keep semolina insect free, we can roast and preserve it in an airtight container. It hardly takes 15 minutes if you have roasted sooji in hand. I have made a few more variants with sooji rava few of them are rava ladoo, ravva kesari, halwa puri, and Suji ka halwa.
Sooji Rava Upma | How to Make Suji Upma Recipe | Rava Upma Recipe
Sooji Rava Upma Recipe is one of the healthy vegetable breakfast recipes.
Measurement: 1 cup = 200 ml.
- Semolina/ sooji/ rava – 1 cup
- Ghee – 1 tbsp.
- Oil – 2 tbsp.
- Mustard seeds – ½ tbsp.
- Cumin seeds/ jeera – ½ tbsp.
- Chana dal – 2 tbsp.
- Peanuts – 2 tbsp.
- Onion – ¾ cup 1 medium sized, finely sliced
- Green chilies – 5 no. slit diagonally
- Curry leaves – 2 tbsp.
- Tomato – ½ cup finely sliced
- Water – 2 – 2 ½ cups
- Salt – ½ tbsp.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add semolina.
- Roast till golden brown to enhance flavor, keep aside.
- In the same pan, heat oil and add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, chana dal, and peanuts.
- Sauté till mustard seeds start spluttering and peanuts are cooked.
- Add sliced onions, green chilies and sauté till onions turn golden brown.
- Put few curry leaves and add sliced tomatoes, cook till they turn soft.
Tip: Used ripe tomato so that you can get a delicious flavor.
- Add 2-2 ½ cups of water, when it starts boiling add semolina.
Note: Stir constantly and add semolina in less quantity so that rava doesn’t form lumps.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook on low heat till it becomes thick.
- Usually, if you add more oil, you can cook till oil oozes out but we are using only 2 tbsp. oil so make sure that it doesn’t burn at the bottom.
Serve Semolina Rava Upma Recipe hot.
How to Make Suji Rava Upma Recipe:
- Heat 1 tbsp. ghee on a pan and add semolina.
- Roast semolina till it turns golden brown in color, keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and chana dal.
- Add peanuts and roast for a while.
- Slice onions into small pieces and add them.
- Slit green chilies diagonally, add them and sauté for a while.
- Add curry leaves and tomato slices, cook till they turn soft.
- Pour 2-2 ½ cup water and bring it to boiling point.
- Add salt and semolina rava gently by stirring constantly so that there are no formations of lumps.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook on low heat for few seconds.
- Serve hot, Semolina Rava Upma with any pickle or coconut chutney.