Sorakaya Pachadi or Bottle Gourd Chutney Recipe is one of the South Indian Recipes which tastes best when accompanied with breakfasts like idli, pesarattu or any dosa variants. It also tastes great with hot plain rice. In order to enhance the flavor of this recipe, I have added even sesame seeds.
In Andhra Sorakaya or Anapakaya is considered as one of the coolant vegetables as it contains more water and is rich in nutrients. Because of this property, people like to make curries and gravy recipes out of this veggie. But many of us hesitate to make recipes out of this veggie during winters, so making lauki ki chutney best suits.
Sorakaya Pachadi | Bottle Gourd Chutney Recipe | Lauki Ki Chutney
Measurement: 1 cup = 200 ml.
- Bottle Gourd/ Sorakaya – 250 gms.
- Oil – 5 tbsp.
- Cumin/ Jeera – ¾ tbsp.
- Coriander seeds – ¼ cup
- Garlic cloves –20-25 no.
- Green Chilies - 7 nos.
- Curry leaves – 3 tbsp.
- Sesame seeds – 1 cup
- Tomatoes – 1 large cup Sliced into large pieces
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tbsp.
- Mustard seeds – ½ tbsp.
- Chana dal – ½ tbsp.
- Moong dal – ½ tbsp.
- On a frying pan add 3 tbsp. Oil and add coriander seeds, cumin seeds, garlic cloves and green chilies.
- Saute for a while and add curry leaves.
- Add tomatoes and cook all ingredients on low heat with lid covered.
- Once tomatoes turn soft, keep aside and let it cool.
- In a separate vessel, roast sesame seeds till they turn color, transfer to another bowl.
- Heat 2 tbsp. oil and add sorakaya (sliced into 1-inch pieces)
- Add little turmeric powder and mix well, cook till bottle gourd turns soft.
- Now blend all ingredients one by one and keep aside.
- Let us prepare temper to garnish above lauki ki chutney.
- In a pan add 1 tbsp. oil, add cumin and mustard seeds, chana and moong dal.
- Saute all ingredients for a while, add dry red chilies, hing and curry leaves.
- Transfer this temper while it's hot and pour over Sorakaya pachadi or bottle gourd chutney.
How to make Sorakaya Pachadi or Bottle Gourd Chutney:
- Heat 3 tbsp. oil and add½ tbsp. cumin seeds, coriander seeds and garlic cloves.
- Continue adding green chilies and sauté for a while.
- Add 2 tbsp. curry leaves and sauté for a second.
- Slice tomatoes into large pieces, add them.
- Cook for a minute by covering with a lid, let it cool and keep aside.
- On another hand roast sesame seeds and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp. oil in a kadai and add bottle gourd.
- Sprinkle turmeric powder and cook till sorakaya turns soft, keep aside and let it cool.
- Add tomato and spices mix to blender and make soft paste.
- Continue adding roasted sesame seeds and blend further.
- Add salt and mix well, transfer to another bowl and keep aside.
- Similarly blend bottle gourd and mix this paste with above.
- Heat 1 tbsp. oil, add ½ tbsp. mustard seeds, ¼ tbsp. cumin seeds and chana dal.
- Add moong dal and mix all ingredients.
- Continue adding dry red chilies, 1 tbsp. curry leaves and a pinch of hing.
- Mix well and add this temper to bottle gourd chutney or sorakaya pachadi.