Tamarind Pulihora, is one of the traditional Andhra rice recipe made during festivals as naivedyam. It’s one of the tangy rice dish covered with spices, roasted peanuts, and aromatic curry leaves. When the taste of pulihora touches your tongue with its addictive flavors, one likes to have more.
Chintapandu Pulihora is prepared from tamarind pulp which is boiled to get a thick paste. When I was a child my mother used to prepare this recipe for my lunch. We can save a lot of time, if once prepared we can directly use this recipe for future use by just mixing with plain rice.
I have even made Lemon rice in my other post even this recipe takes less time.
Tamarind Pulihora Recipe, Chintapandu Pulihora, How to make Pulihora
- Tamarind – 150 gms.
- Rice – 500 gms.
- Water – 1 liter
- Sesame seeds – 1 cup
- Oil – 2 large spoons
- Chana dal – 2 tbsp.
- Moong dal – 3 tbsp.
- Peanuts – 1 cup
- Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp.
- Green chilies – ½ cup
- Dry red chilies – 8 nos.
- Curry leaves – ½ cup
- Hing/ Asafetida – ¼ tbsp.
- Turmeric powder – ½ tbsp.
- Salt – 2 tbsp.
- In a vessel, take tamarind of size tennis ball.
- Soak it for 15 minutes and extract pulp, boil till we attain thick concentration.
- While this process is going on, clean rice and cook.
Tip: If needed add 1 tbsp. oil when rice is almost done to get non sticky loose grains of rice.
- Transfer cooked rice to a wide vessel and let it cool.
- Roast 1 cup sesame seeds till they turn golden brown and blend to powder.
- Add sesame powder to cooked rice and mix well.
- In a separate pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds, peanuts, moong dal and chana dal.
- Once mustard seeds starts spluttering add green chilies and dry red chilies and sauté for a while.
- Add curry leaves, asafetida, salt, turmeric powder and tamarind pulp.
- Mix all ingredients, cook for a second.
- Add rice to this tamarind pulp and mix well.
- Tamarind pulihora or chintapandu pulihora can be made instantly once we have pulp prepared by just adding rice to it.
If you add some extra oil to the mixture while boiling tamarind then it can be preserved for a long period. Whenever required just add the mixture to rice.
How to Make Tamarind Pulihora:
- Soak tamarind and extract pulp.
- Boil tamarind pulp until you get thick concentration.
- On another hand, clean rice and cook it by adding water.
Tip: Proportion of Rice:water=1:2 ratio. i.e add 1-liter water for 500 gms. of rice.
- Once rice is cooked, take it in a wide vessel so that rice cools and loosens each grain.
- Roast sesame seeds and grind to coarse powder, add to rice.
- Heat oil and add chana dal, moong dal, peanuts, and mustard seeds.
- Roast all ingredients for a while.
- Add green chilies and fry for a second.
- Drop dry red chilies and fry further.
Note: Adjust chilies as per your taste.
- Drop curry leaves to add aroma and flavor.
- Add asafetida, turmeric powder, tamarind pulp, and salt.
- Mix all ingredients.
- At this stage, you can preserve still tamarind pulp and use for future use or else continue making Tamarind Rice.
- Add rice to the pulp and mix well.
- Tamarind Pulihora Recipe or Chintapandu Pulihora is ready to serve.