Ulundu Vadai Recipe is one of the famous South Indian breakfast recipes. Ulundu vada is a smooth and crispy snack, it is also simple to prepare as it needs very fewer ingredients. It tastes great when soaked in sambar and has them along with a spoon of sambar. Usually, in restaurants, we find coconut chutney along this recipe.
Whatever the special occasion it is our first priority goes to Vada recipe or puri. Most of us prefer Vada because of essence or texture. Especially during rainy season many of our taste buds prefer oil food, especially crunchy and soft foods.
Many of us think that if the batter is hard it absorbs less oil and if it’s loose then more oil. I suggest maintaining the batter in such consistency that it not too hard and too loose, we should be able to make vada shape. This will bring soft and crisp Medhu Vadai Recipe output.
Ulundu Vadai, How to Make Ulundu Vadai Recipe, Medhu Vadai Recipe
Ingredients for Ulundu Vadai:
- Urad dal – 1 cup
- Ginger – ¼ cup.
- Onions – ½ bowl
- Green chilies – ¼ cup as per your taste
- Curry leaves – 1 tbsp.
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp.
- Salt – 2 tbsp. as per your taste
- Water – to soak and make the batter
- Oil - to deep fry.
- Soak urad dal for an hour and transfer to a blender.
- Add ginger pieces, green chilies, and a little salt.
- Blend to make a thick batter, if needed we can add little water when it becomes hard to blend.
Note: If you want soft and spongy vada, we need to whisk batter with our hands.
- Add sliced onions and sliced curry leaves and mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan till it reaches an optimum level.
- Make vada using medhu vada maker or with hands.
Tip: When batter sticks to hands, wet your hands with water so that it becomes easy to make.
- Gently release into oil and deep fry on both sides till it attains golden brown in colour.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney.
How to Make Ullundu Vada Recipe:
- Soak urad dal for 1 hour and add to blender, also add ginger pieces.
Tip: If you are in hurry, add a piece of iron along with dal while soaking, dal gets soaked in half an hour.
Tip: If you are using whole dal or broken dal, you need to remove the skin by washing under water.
Note: Use little water while grinding and batter thick and hard.
Note: Salt makes batter lose so if you think of adding water do it only after adding salt.
- Add green chilies and salt. Grind till you get medium coarse texture, remove from the grinder and keep aside.
- Whisk batter rapidly for a minute. If you drop the small lump of batter in water, it should float.
- Slice onions into small pieces and make the half bowl of them, add to batter.
- Cut curry leaves and coriander leaves into small pieces and add them.
- Mix all ingredients and keep aside.
- Heat oil for deep fry, to check whether oil is ready or not put a small lump of batter in oil if it floats then oil is ready to deep fry.
- First, soak your hands in water, take the small lump of batter in your hand and make it like a ball, and then make it flat, then make a small hole in the middle. Gently release vada in oil and do this process for all.
Tip: If you are not convenient in doing vada in hands you can make use of medu vada machine or repeat above step by using polythene sheet.
- Once Medhu Vadai turns its color, flip to other side and once all change their color to a golden brown, remove from oil and place them on tissue paper.